School of Journalism and New Media
University of Mississippi

Q&A with Olivia Moore

Posted on: November 16th, 2023 by msross

Olivia Moore

“My name is Olivia Moore. I am from Starkville, MS, and I plan to graduate in 2026. I am a sophomore Journalism major. Since coming to Ole Miss, I have become actively involved in the Baptist Student Union where I currently serve on the leadership team. I also serve as a social media assistant for the SOJNM, creating photo and video content for our platforms. I love sports and I photograph Ole Miss Athletic events for 247Sports!”

Why did you choose to attend UM? 

I decided to come to Ole Miss my junior year in high school, and I chose to come here because Ole Miss has an outstanding and well-recognized School of Journalism. While all aspects of journalism are important, I think the most important thing that I would tell a high school about journalism is that they need to become a good writer.   

Why is your school/department a special place? 

The professors, administrators, and other journalism majors make this department special. Since the beginning of my Freshman year, I have always felt welcomed and at home here. As a matter of fact, as a Freshman, I was hired as a photographer for the School of Journalism. 

What do you hope to do after you graduate? What are your career goals/plans after graduation? 

After graduation, I hope to work in Sports Journalism. I would really like to work in broadcasting for the SEC Network, but I also remain open to working in both print and photography. I am also open to going wherever these job opportunities may take me. 

Apart from school, how do you spend your time in Oxford? What are your hobbies, favorite places to go, etc.? 

In my spare time in Oxford, I enjoy playing pickleball and hanging out with friends. Also, as an avid sports fan, I do attend as many Ole Miss sporting events as possible. I love football, basketball, baseball, and softball. 

What are some dream travel destinations? 

Regarding travel, I have gone on mission trips to both Belize and Victoria Island, Canada, and I would love the opportunity to go back to both places. After graduation, I hope to take a trip to Africa.