skip to main content
School of Journalism and New Media
University of Mississippi

Q&A with Brady Wood

Posted on: November 16th, 2023 by msross

Brady Wood

“I am a current senior studying Integrated Marketing Communications with specialization in Visual Design and a minor in General Business! Besides the SOJNM Ambassadors I am also involved in many different areas around campus. Examples include: The Pride of the South Marching Band, The Ole Miss Baptist Student Union, Ole Miss Orientation, and others. I was also recently elected as the 2023 Homecoming King!”

Why did you choose to attend UM? 

I chose the University of Mississippi as my home because of the people. When they talk about ‘The Ole Miss Family,’ they mean it. I knew when I visited our beautiful campus that it would be easy to make this my home away from home! 

When and how did you choose your major(s)/minor(s)? 

I did a program called DECA in high school, which consists of different business competitions. When I would compete, I realized that I really enjoyed the content that I was talking about. After I talked to my high school DECA director, she referred me to the IMC program here at Ole Miss and I have never looked back since! 

What would you tell a high school student about your major? What is most important for them to know if they’re interested in pursuing that field of study? 

I would tell them that if they have any creative interest, whether that be writing, photography, etc., there’s a way to integrate that into what we do. Don’t be afraid that you would have to give up your interests when choosing this major because there is probably some way you can put them together! 

Why is your school/department a special place? 

The SOJNM is a special place because every time I enter Farley it feels like home. I have not had a single class in Farley where by the end of it I didn’t meet at least five new people that I could call my friends. Farley means family.

Can you tell me about a professor or a class you’ve taken that has had the most impact on you? 

Chris Sparks, who taught my Account Planning class, will forever hold a special place in my heart. Her passion for the subject showed in every single class, and that passion fueled my own. 

What has been one of your most memorable or enjoyable moments at UM? 

The Sugar Bowl in 2022 with the band was the best week of my life. Being able to explore New Orleans and play in a parade down the French Quarter is one of my favorite things I have gotten to do at this university. 

Apart from school, how do you spend your time in Oxford? What are your hobbies, favorite places to go, etc.? 

My favorite things to do include coffee shop trips, jam sessions with my friends, and watching the sunset! 

What is one thing you wish you knew as an incoming freshman that you’d tell your past self (about the general college experience)? 

The people you meet when you first get to college may not end up being your best friends- and that is so okay! Just like everything, friends come with time, and you want the best that you can get, so do not try to rush them!