School of Journalism and New Media
University of Mississippi

Dupont named top journalism educator

Posted on: January 10th, 2018 by drwenger

For the second year in a row, the Meek School of Journalism and New Media has been recognized as home to a top journalism educator, according to Crain’s NewsPro magazine.  Dr. Nancy Dupont received the honor this year, along with educators from Syracuse, UNC-Chapel Hill, Northwestern University and other top programs.

“This award is proof-positive that the Meek School of Journalism and New Media is among the best in the nation,” Dupont said.  “Our faculty are being recognized nationally for the great things they do. Anytime any of us is honored, we share the spotlight with our colleagues.”

In recognizing Dupont, the magazine noted that she puts “her heart and soul into working with students involved in ‘NewsWatch Ole Miss’ [a student broadcast]. She’s there every day coaching and mentoring,”  Dupont is the advisor for the newscast, a role that suits her philosophy of teaching well.

“There is only one reason to be a professor–to share our knowledge with students and prepare them for what they want to do in life. Students are the reason we have our jobs. When former students write me years later and thank me for the help I gave them, that is the greatest reward of all.”

The 2017 edition of NewsPro’s educator awards included Meek School Assistant Dean Deb Wenger.  She says it’s only fitting that Dupont be on the list this year.

“I see Dr. Dupont’s dedication to students on a daily basis, and I know that many of our student success stories began in her classroom.  It makes me proud to see my colleague and our school recognized for putting students first.”